Thursday, May 7, 2009

Comments vs. Posting... & Conversation

I must say, first, that I was thrilled to read each one of your contributions. Thanks for sharing! Keep it coming. I think this blog will be a great way for us to continue learning from one another.

Now for some feedback:

(Don’t worry, I’m not going to mention anything having to do with grammar). I’m just going to throw out a point to consider regarding format. Notice that when you post a comment below one of my entries, there’s no way for me to write back. I can’t comment on another person’s comment. On the other hand, if you decide to create a new post, then I (and the rest of the readers) can respond to your writing by posting a comment. It’s up to you to decide which option you prefer.

How do you create a new post? There are a few ways, but here’s what I find to be the easiest. Log into your account by entering your username and password at https://www.blogger.com/start. After you click “Acceder,” you’ll be taken to a page called your Dashboard. There you will find a blue button that reads “New Post.” Click it, type your entry, then click the orange button that says “Publish Post.” That’s all. Let me know if you run into any problems.

And now on the topic of conversation:

During the language classes at Bernardo Houssay, I’m used to answering questions about my life in the states, my thoughts on Argentine culture, and of course—English vocabulary. The conversation rarely strays beyond these terms. The other day, however, a student took me off guard by asking me if I could lead a workshop on relaxation. He wanted a way to help ease the nervousness that flares up when asked to speak in front of the class. At the time, I couldn’t think of anything other than yoga. And even though I love it, I don’t see how the practice of poses and breathing can (directly, anyway) help someone feel comfortable speaking another language.

I still don’t have any ideas for a relaxation workshop, but I have thought of a way to reduce the stress that may build up during classroom discussions. Why don’t we meet outside of class? Perhaps in smaller groups so more people get a chance to speak? The only way to feel more comfortable and confident, or so I’ve found, is through practice.

So let me know what you think (here on this blog if you feel like it). Are you interested in starting a conversation group to meet every once an awhile in a park or at a bar? Do you have time? How would it work (would we choose certain topics to discuss or just show up and chat?)? Would you want to have a different group for each year of students? Keep in mind that we don’t have to do it— so feel free to voice your opinion either way.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andi!. Our names are Julia and Marisel. We are studentes of Bernardo Houssay. We are enjoying this new experience of work!. Thank you for your help and we hope to make a great progress during this year!.
    Good luck!.
    Bye Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andi !! I couldn't read the post before so here its go my answer. It will be a very good idea to meet outside the university to talk and to get to know each other better. So if we could make arregaments to the date and the place of the meeting, post in the blog as we can say. Kiss !! Ivana.

    ReplyDelete